So, you can now hear with the help of fabulous hearing aids. Amazing! Wonderful! Miraculous! You’re probably having the best time — attending Christmas concerts, rocking a few holiday parties, and generally being amazing in your everyday life. But, all of that awesome stands precariously in the balance. Your tiny devices hold great value. Yes, they are delicate. And, yes — they demand great care and attention.
So, how exactly can you best care for your hearing aids? What is the protocol for these types of situations? Well, we have a few tips for proper care today. And, we hope you’ll take this tips to heart this holiday season. We all understand the holidays are a busy time. However, please do not neglect caring for your hearing aids over the next couple weeks of frivolity.
How to Take Care of Your Hearing Aids
Caring for hearing aids is so simple — really! Here are a few tips we have for you from our outstanding, world class audiologists and audiology assistants:
- Keep your hearing aids dry. It is best to keep your hearing devices as dry as possible. Take them out before showering or swimming. And, if possible, store them in a dehumidifying case designed to dry them out.
- Make certain your dog(s) do not have direct access to your hearing devices. Dogs of all shapes, sizes, and ages adore finding the most expensive items in any home to destroy. Mouth guards, retainers, violin bows, grand piano legs, brand new couch cushions — name any item greater than $500, and your dog will find. And, of course, hearing aids are no exception to this rule. So, keep your devices free and clear of your dog’s reach.
- Keep your hearing aids clean. Clean your hearing aids with a soft, dry cloth each night. Do not use any type of fluid to clean your devices — no water, bleach, Windex, diet Coke, vodka, or seltzer water. Resist the urge — resist temptation!
- Change your wax traps. As part of regular maintenance, change the wax traps in your devices. Even if you don’t tend to get wax build-up, it is wise to change out the wax traps. Even a bit of ear wax can impede
- Come on into Decibels Audiology and Hearing Aid Center! If you are confused about your devices, or if they don’t seem to be working properly for you, make an appointment at any one of our offices. An audiologist will be able to tell you what’s going on. Additionally, she can teach you how to properly care for your devices and confirm they’re programmed in the best way possible.
Why Take Care of Your Hearing Aids?
You invested significant time and money in a new pair of hearing devices, so why not take great care of them? Use them — all the time! Get out, and live your life! But, make sure that at the end of the day, you also care for what you’ve been blessed with. And, if you haven’t yet invested in a pair of high quality devices, give us a call! When you make an appointment at Decibels Audiology and Hearing Aid Center, you are beginning a long and glorious relationship with the most fantastic hearing device center in Southwest Florida. Don’t delay — give us a call today!